The White Dove of the Desert, San Xavier Del Bac, has been here long before there was a United States - Father Eusebio Francisco Kino first visited the site in 1692. In 1700, the foundation of the first church was laid nearby. The present church was built from 1783-1797, and is acclaimed as one of the best examples of mission architecture in the United States.
For the last few years an effort has been ongoing to restore the exterior of the church, which has suffered from the desert environment. Only recently did the scaffolding come off the west tower.